Dorney Park PA & Wildwater Kingdom
Dorney Park in Allentown, PA is one of the oldest operating amusement parks in the U.S. With over 100 rides and attractions including specially designed attractions for young children, live entertainment and a massive water park, this park offers something for everyone.
Be sure to check out what's New in 2011 at Dorney
Want to extend your trip? Consider an overnight stay with great rates at Dorney Park hotels.
Rides & Attractions
Adrenaline junkies will delight in over a dozen "aggressive thrill rides" including:
- Hydra - A floor-less roller coaster that flips riders upside down as it leaves the station
- Possessed - Formerly known as Voodoo, this coaster features 704 feet of twisted steel and dual towers for a thrilling ride.
- Thunderhawk - A perennial visitor favorite. This wooden coaster has been thrilling riders at Dorney Park PA since 1923.
- Demon Drop - New for 2010! Scheduled to open in early June, 2010, this one isn't for the faint of heart! Demon Drop simulates a free fall from a 10 story building. Cars (that hold 4 people)travel to the top of the tower in six seconds. Riders are suspended briefly, then free-fall 60 feet in less than two seconds, reaching 50 mph before coming to a stop on the pull-out curve.
- Talon - The longest and tallest inverted coaster in the northeast includes: a vertical loop, a zero-gravity roll, an Immelmann loop and a corkscrew. Need we say more?
If you're looking for a calmer ride, there are plenty of those to be found. From amusement park standards like the Tilt-a-Whirl and the Scrambler to unique rides like the Swan Boats and the Zephyr - the park's miniature train, the park offers rides to suit all tastes and risk tolerances.
Dorney Park Coupons and Dorney Park Discounts
A little advance planning can save a few bucks off the price of admission. Dorney Park coupons for approximately $4 to $10 off admission prices can be found at participating Subway and Dunkin Donuts stores in June and participating Burger King restaurants in July. Looking for Dorney Park Coupons in August? Head to participating Taco Bell and Wendy's restaurants.
By purchasing tickets in advance, you can bag some nice Dorney Park discounts. Discount admission tickets can be purchased during the summer season at participating Acme, Weis, Kings and Mrs Z's supermarkets. AAA members can purchase discounted admission tickets at AAA offices. Please note that these Dorney Park discounts must be purchased at the locations mentioned here and are not available at the park gate.
The park also offers a military discount for active and retired military personnel when purchasing tickets at the park gates. A valid military ID is required to obtain these Dorney Park discounts.
Taking the Kids to Dorney Park PA
Planet Snoopy is the place for the 5 and under set. You can find the whole Peanuts gang featured on about twenty attractions in this area. In addition, costumed Peanuts characters frequently stroll the area, so have your cameras ready! The majority of the rides in Planet Snoopy are meant to allow adults to ride together with children.
Planet Snoopy is brand new for 2011 and is a grand expansion of what used to be known as Camp Snoopy. About a half-dozen new rides have been added along with a gift shop, soda shop and amphitheater. Families will appreciate the convenience of the new Family Care Facility which includes changing stations, feeding rooms and nap areas. Planet Snoopy will now encompass 3.5 acres which will hopefully ease some of the crowding that used to occur in Camp Snoopy.
On some rides, Dorney Amusement Park offers Parent Swap services for families with small children who have no childcare provisions while riding height-restricted rides. With Parent Swap, a person may wait with the child in the designated area while the other guests in the party enter the line. When the rest of the party has exited the ride, the person who waited with the child may enter the ride through the exit and ride.
When you need a break from the heat, the rides or both, head over to Good Time Theater - the park's 18,000 square foot arena- to see Dorney's brand new show "Snoopy Rocks! on Ice". New for the 2009 season, Snoopy and the Peanuts gang rock out in this 47 minute ice show filled with flips, spins and even a battle between Snoopy and the Red Baron. The arena, located just inside the front gate of the park maintains a comfortable air temperature of 68 degrees. The show is included in the cost of park admission. Be sure to get there early because the doors close once the show begins.
For other live performances throughout the park, be sure to visit Center Stage where you can find anything from '50s and '60s music to salsa and rumba. At Planet Snoopy stage, guests can sing along and dance with Peanuts Characters including Snoopy, Lucy and Charlie Brown.
Wildwater Kingdom is Dorney Amusement Park's sprawling waterpark featuring 18 wet and wild attractions. There are numerous slides - straight, twisty, open air and tube, along with some lazy river float rides and multiple wave pools. Lollipop Lagoon and Splash Landing feature mild water attractions for the younger set and the kids will love getting a "car wash" at Kids Cove.
Lines for the slides can get very long, especially on hot weekend days in the summer. To avoid the crowds, try to visit mid-week or after 5pm.
Planning to spend the day at Wildwater Kingdom? You may want to consider renting a cabana (about $75 per day on weekdays and $100 per day on weekends). Cabanas have lounging and dining seating for 4 (can accommodate more people for extra $$)along with concession service and a front row seat to all the water fun. There are only 12 cabanas and they must be reserved in advance.
Hours of Operation
Dorney Park PA typically opens weekends in May and then begins a 7 day a week schedule from Memorial Day through Labor Day. After Labor Day, the park is open only on weekends through the end of October. Weekends in late September and October feature Dorney's Halloween Haunt. Note that Wildwater Kingdom frequently has different hours than the park. View Dorney Park Operating Hours.
New For 2011
Want to know what's new at Dorney in 2011? Find out right here!
- Opening Day! - Dorney Park 2011 Opening Day is Saturday, April 30. Wild Water Kingdom opening day is scheduled for Saturday, May 28, 2011.
- Planet Snoopy - The big focus for 2011 is the $8 million transformation of the former Camp Snoopy into Planet Snoopy. With the addition of 6-7 new rides, gift shop, Soda Pop Shop, new amphitheater and a family care station, Planet Snoopy is 3.5 acres of family fun.
- Tot Spot - Say good-bye to Tot Spot! This small kiddie ride area toward the back of the park used to be one of our favorites spots. When the lines were long in Camp Snoopy, our kids usually didn't have a wait on the 6-7 rides in this area. Tot Spot has been removed to make way for a new attraction that will debut in 2012.
- Mystery Ride - There is a new ride coming to Dorney, but no one is confirming exactly what it is. Dorney submitted plans to the local township that show a 138 foot ride in the area where Tot Spot used to be. Rumor has it that it may be a coaster called Invertigo being transferred from a park in California. The mystery ride will open in 2012.
Dorney Park Hotels
Extend your stay and enjoy two days at Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom or take in some of the great sights and events in the surrounding area. Either way, you can find some very reasonably priced hotels near Dorney Park. Just click the links below to find great rates on these hotels near Dorney Park.
The two closest hotels, located directly across the street from
Dorney are Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Dorney Park (with an indoor pool) and Comfort Suites Allentown. Just a slightly shorter drive down the road is the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
If you don't mind staying about a 15 minute drive from Dorney Park, you should check out Bear Creek Mountain Resort. With a fantastic on-site spa, hiking and mountain biking trails, indoor and outdoor heated pools and hot tubs and several on-site restaurants, the resort offers a fabulous retreat. Read what others have to say about Bear Creek Mountain Resort.
Learn about other
Pennsylvania Amusement Parks
Go to Pennsylvania Vacation Guide
Amusement park features, operations and policies subject to change. Please verify features directly with the park.