Bushkill Falls - The Poconos
Bushkill Falls is sometimes referred to as "The Niagara of Pennsylvania". While that description may be a bit of an exaggeration (Hey, marketing folks have to earn their keep), the waterfalls are definitely beautiful and well worth the trip.
Located in the heart of the Pocono Mountains, Bushkill Falls is a series of 8 waterfalls, visible from a network of hiking trails and bridges. All of the trails are well marked and nicely laid out with good viewing points and resting benches along the way.
Insider Tip: Traffic can be an issue when heading here on the weekend. The two-lane road leading into Bushkill, PA is known for congestion and traffic delays, so plan accordingly
Main Falls are the tallest of the eight falls with a 100 foot drop. The 15 minute walk along the Green Trail to view Main Falls is a fairly easy one with no climbing. There are three other hiking trails of various lengths and levels of difficulty.
- Yellow Trail - About a 45 minute hike past Main Falls, Lower Gorge Falls, Laurel Glen and Upper Canyon
- Blue Trail - Also known as Pennell Falls Trail, the Blue Trail picks up at point 12 on the Yellow Trail and takes about 1.25 hours to complete.
- Red Trail - Also known as Bridal Veil Falls Trail, the Red Trail is a 2 mile hike that includes all 8 waterfalls and takes over 2 hours. There is a lot of climbing on this trail including over 1200 steps.
Insider Tip: Before setting out on your hike, be sure to pick up a Map Adventure trail map. It includes a punch card that corresponds with landmarks on the trails. When five, ten, or twenty locations have been found and verified, a hiker is eligible for a monthly prize drawing. Cost is $2.
Be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots, particularly for the more challenging trails
While the falls are certainly the main attractions here, take time to notice and enjoy the beauty of the natural plants and flowers along each hiking path. The entire property provides excellent photo ops, so don't forget the camera!
Other Bushkill Falls Activities
After you've had your fill of the falls, don't head straight to the parking lot. Here are some of the other attractions available at Bushkill Falls (note: there is an additional fee for some of these items).
Insider Tip: There is a free picnic area at The Falls, so feel free to pack a lunch and picnic before or after you hike the falls
- Paddle boat rides
- Pennsylvania wildlife exhibit
- Native American exhibit - Learn how the Lenni Lenape lived hundreds of years ago
- Fudge kitchen and ice cream parlor - Indulge! Just think of all the calories you burned hiking the falls!
- Gift shops - Most of the items here are a bit kitschy, but it's still fun to look
Attractions Near Bushkill Falls
Return to Pennsylvania Vacation Guide
Features and operating policies subject to change. Please verify features directly with the attraction.