The College of Physicians of Pennsylvania
19 South 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Mutter Museum, located on the campus of The College of Physicians of Pennsylvania is one of the most unique Philadelphia attractions. The museum's two floors showcase a variety of medical oddities and the evolution of medicine. While multiple displays of medical anomalies could tend toward the freakish, that is not the case here. The exhibits are well done and focused on education and enlightenment.
While fascinating to some, a trip here is not for everyone. The scientific and educational nature of the exhibits appeal to a more mature crowd. Kids will likely be bored here and young children could be scared by some of the more graphic displays.
Allow about 1 to 1.5 hours to see all the exhibits on this self-guided tour. Some of the more interesting treasures are:
- Joseph Hyrtl's collection of 139 human skills depicting physical variations among various ethnic groups
- Plaster cast of the torso of famous Siamese Twins, Chang & Eng along with their conjoined livers
- Interesting collection of over 2,000 items swallowed by humans and extracted from their throats
- Preserved body of the "Soap Lady"
- Tallest skeleton on display in North America - a 7 foot + giant from Kentucky
Nearby Philadelphia Attractions
There is no on site parking at the Museum which means you will most likely pay to park in a municipal lot. While in the area, why not check out some other nearby Philadelphia attractions such as:
- Love Park
- Eastern State Penitentiary
- National Liberty Museum
- Academy of Natural Sciences
- Franklin Institute
- Historic Philadelphia
Mutter Museum to Home Page
Museum features and policies subject to change. Please verify features directly with the museum.